Wednesday, April 10, 2013

WEDNESDAY WIRE


The Greatest American Institution 

"The whole people must take upon themselves the education of the whole people and be willing to bear the expenses of it. There should not be a district of one mile square, without a school in it, not founded by a charitable individual, but maintained at the public expense of the people themselves."— John Adams, U.S. President, 1785


Where is the gap in logic? As I sit here trying to figure out how to write this post, I keep wondering what the heck these Indiana legislators are thinking with their “reform” of our public education system. I mean, where are the dots not connecting here?

If there is one Institution, one great idea that separates the US from the rest of the world, that has produced great leaders and scientists, artists and innovators, engineers and musicians - it is this idea that we take the education of the whole people upon ourselves. HB 1003 threatens to expand this notion that private institutions should benefit from public funding so that some – not all – have the ‘choice’ to attend the private institution. All the while this ‘choice’ is funded at the expense of our greatest institution, our public education system that actually educates the whole people.


CALL YOUR SENATOR AND TELL THEM TO VOTE NO TO 1003 NOW!!


Our laws have to make sense and be able to withstand the test of reason. If this system of granting vouchers for 'choice' is good enough for public education, shouldn’t it be good enough for other institutions to be logical? For example:


If vouchers are so great, Why don’t we start funneling money from Public Libraries to give it to Barnes and Noble? Or Christian Book Stores? After all, I am a taxpayer and I want compensated for my choice to purchase books at a bookstore instead of borrowing from a Library.


Or better yet, I don’t want to take public transportation, it is my "choice" to buy a car...cant the Legislators funnel a certain dollar amount from public transportation so I can use it to fund my automobile "choice"?
 



I will tell you why – because outsourcing public funds to private institutions is nothing more than Corporate Welfare. Whether it is Voucher funds to private schools, Book Stores, or Car Dealers, outsourcing public funds to private institutions will always be nothing more than Corporate Welfare. For as many people in the House and Senate who claim to be Capitalists, supportive of a free market system, there are an awful lot of these same legislators who seek to support these “capitalist free market” ventures with public funds. Last time I checked, that isn’t Capitalism.

It is time for ALL Hoosiers to come together and say enough of this voucher nonsense. We don’t need to pay for someone else’s so-called ‘choice’ while our Greatest American Institution – that very institution that separates US from the rest of the world, is left to deteriorate and our children left with curriculum cuts, educator down-sizing, and program dismantling. This is the OPPOSITE of educating of our children - this is cronyism, nothing more,.

It is time for the those downstate to put their petty power struggles aside and do what is right for THE PEOPLE – not some of the people, ALL of the PEOPLE.

CALL YOUR LEGISLATOR AND ASK THEM TO VOTE NO ON 1003 Today!
Tell them you want fully – funded PUBLIC Schools, not Corporate Welfare disguised as ‘reform’.


 


1 comment:

  1. I so agree! Thanks so much! This is EXACTLY the conversation I was having with someone (who sends her kids to a voucher school) on the Ritz4Education page Monday and yesterday under the Diane Ravitch post. Here's part of what I argued:

    "Why do you think that they don't receive and equal chance in public education? Because the school your children and friends' children attended didn't fit their needs? I think that we have lots of room for improvement within the public schools for sure. But what happens to the common responsibility for our kids if we just leave? I am not saying by any stretch that you shouldn't be able to.. I'm simply saying that the voucher you are given is no different than if I wanted to take several hundred in a voucher to pay for my car instead of contributing to the public transportation system. I can't afford the Country Club, should I be given a voucher so that I have as much right to a nicer pool than our city's public one? Should I get a voucher for some new books from Barnes and Noble if I dont' use the library? I don't think we should keep chipping away at our common spaces for the common good... I feel the same way as you do--- I don't agree with much of how my tax dollars are used. But we're in a democracy. OH, and all but 6 of the voucher schools (200+) are parochial.. but my beef is not with religion.. I love my church. It's with hurting the common good while we achieve what we want for our own individual kids."

    We definitely need to band together and find a way to frame and revisit the purpose of public education. Love the John Adams quote.

    ReplyDelete