Saturday, April 6, 2013

Grassroots - Using Social Media to Move Mountains



So, when I was asked to speak at the Occupy DOE 2.0 rally in Washington, D.C., I was surprised, honored, flattered, and horrified.  When I agreed to speak, I was excited and nervous that what I  had to say wouldn't matter much to those who would be listening.  As I outlined my rally "speech", I began to look back at what had been accomplished through our Indiana grassroots movement and saw that we have much to share with the nation about moving the mountains that stand to destroy our beloved PUBLIC schools.  I prepared myself to make the trip to the rally and speak on the DOE steps to motivate and inspire others to become the action necessary to begin to move others to stand up for PUBLIC education.  Unfortunately, as the time drew closer to venture to the rally, I found myself facing a schedule conflict. My wonderful partner decided we should surprise my 12 year old twins with a Spring Break trip to Florida. As much as I was prepared for DC, I most definitely had to choose family first.  So, while my Public education supporting friends and fellow rally speakers will be expressing their passionate views and amazing a difference for our PUBLIC schools, I will be sending my thoughts and energy across the miles in hopes that others become as passionate and emboldened by what they have to deliver to the crowds.  I wish to thank Peggy Robertson for thinking of me and inviting me to speak.  I thank all who will speak for their undying commitment to all of our children and our public education system.  Below, please read the text notes of the speech I would have delivered had I been able to stand on the DOE steps and speak to all who cared to hear.

Grassroots - Using Social Media to Move Mountains

Today, I stand before you as a veteran teacher with 20 years of classroom experience in PUBLIC education.  Yes, I am "only" a teacher, but I am a teacher who has a passion for PUBLIC education.  

I often wonder how  one voice could multiply to thousands to make a difference.  I am not taking credit as that voice, but as one of the many voices seeking change.  I often wonder how I got to the point of becoming an "activist".  In reflection, I guess I have always been an "activist-in-waiting".
So, I created a Facebook page in 2010 as way to vent my anger and frustration with the direction "reformers" were taking public education in Indiana.  I began to seek ideas and information for ending Tony Bennet's reign of terror as he shoved the reforms of Mitch Daniels and Jeb Bush down the throats of Hoosier educators and public school children.  Soon others began to "like" the page to share their personal frustrations and their passion for PUBLIC education.  It was just a matter of time when others created pages along same lines to seek changes in the reforms and to push for our schools to be returned to the public.  Thus, a movement was born.  A movement that started at the base of grassroots and moved to play a surprising upset role in the 2012 Indiana general election.  Indiana's GOP stronghold received a huge blow when our grassroots effort produced upset Democratic winner Glenda Ritz, and defeated education reform's "golden boy".  the rest is history.  Glenda Ritz has taken over the Indiana DOE as Indiana's elected Superintendent of Public Instruction, and Tony Bennett has been relocated to Florida, where he is looking to continue his destructive ways on another state's public schools.

So how do you turn one voice into a movement? The steps are easy, the process face paced, the stress level high, but the reward can be the ultimate in satisfaction.  Start with a clear purpose that is grounded in passion.  Keep yourself motivated by using that passion as the guide by which you pursue your goals.  Motivate others to take up the cause using their passion.  Then work together to continually motivate one another to push onward toward the goals.  Use the motivating factors of anger, frustration, fear, and excitement to grow involvement and dedication to the cause.  

Focus on your goal at all times.  At times the goal will appear within reach, then it will seem to move further away.  Do not ever give up and think the mountain is too large.  You must focus on the effort to move the mountain and seek ways to turn the mountain back into a mole hill.  As you build your base and distribute information you need to view all information as valuable.  "Borrow" information from others who share the same goal.  Share information whenever and wherever you have the means and access.  Continue to work together.  Do not let the opponent trap you into arguing amongst other cause supporters.  Be factual and direct in delivery.  Know your audience and their level of passion and then adjust your content as the audience dictates.

As you set out to establish your own social media "cause", there are important decisions to be made.  

1.  Decide when to start and when to share pertinent information.
2. Decide where you will share your information (your own page or others).
3. Decide why you will share the information you will share (motivator).
4. Decide how you will share the information (text, pictures, blog, etc.).

Do not get caught up in trying to answer your critics.  Remain focused on your purpose and avoid arguing as you "stir the pot". You must embrace the fact that you are now an advocate for something.  You are becoming an activist for a cause.  Whatever that cause is, be willing to give your full effort and continue to see things through to completion, or to a change in mission to further carry your torch to the next mountain.

Friends, fellow activists, we are at an important point in our history.  We have decided to no longer sit back and watch our elected officials and their corporate cronies dismantle our PUBLIC schools for private profit.  It is time to take your own grassroots campaign to the next level.  Join the social media revolution and use social media to move mountains for future generations.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment